Top Garden Engagement Photo Spots
I don’t know about you but I have been LOVING garden-style photoshoots recently. There’s just something so romantic about being surrounded by flowers, beautiful architecture and shafts of sunlight peeking through the trees!! The variability that’s possible within the garden vibe is also fantastic for a photo session. And as a Philly-based wedding and engagement photographer, I know some pretty cool garden engagement photo spots around the city! So I’m going to share with you my top 6 locations for garden-style engagement vibes.
1. Longwood Gardens
I mean, hellooooooo gorgeous engagement photos!!! Longwood Gardens is one of my favorite spots for engagement sessions for a plethora of reasons. It is a massive expanse of land that is filled to the brim with natural beauty!! The workers of Longwood Gardens continuously update the landscaping with seasonal plants and flowers from around the world. The landscaping is arranged beautifully and is a joy to experience! There are also multiple fountain gardens, a meadow, a beer garden, an indoor conservatory and so much more!! Check out one of the garden engagement sessions I photographed at Longwood Gardens right here.
- 45-60 minutes from Philadelphia in Kennett Square, PA
- $25/person entry fee
- Seasonal hour changes (always check before going!!), closed Tuesdays
- Wear comfortable shoes – you’ll be walking a lot!!
- Very crowded in the summer months
2. Abington Art Center
Abington Art Center in North Philadelphia offers a more woodsy garden feel than floral. There are no flowers, but the beautiful architecture of the art center combined with the abandoned stone and wrought-iron structures give off a mysterious garden vibe. I photographed an engagement session at Abington Art Center for the first time this spring and I can’t wait to go back!!
- Short drive from Philadelphia
- Free entry
- Make sure there is no event planned for the day of your session (weekdays are usually safe)
- The wood trails are dirt so beware summer storms the day before
3. Philadelphia Art Museum
Confused about this one? The area behind the Philadelphia Art Museum near Lloyd Hall is actually filled with beautifully landscaped flowers and even has a gazebo!! Just look at the photos taken here in late spring in this blog post!
- In the city
- Lots of variation in photos
- Flowers galore!
4. Bowman’s Hill Wildflower Preserve
I am SO freakin’ excited to photograph my first session here later this summer! I did extensive research to find a garden engagement session location for a couple who lives near Levittown and this was at the top of my list. While it’s a bit of a drive from Philly, Bowman’s Hill Wildflower Preserve offers the type of space and natural beauty that is not easily found in the city.
- ~60 minutes from Philadelphia in New Hope, PA
- $10/person entry fee
- Not ideal hours (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.), closed Tuesdays
5. 18th Century Garden
I mean Y’ALL!!!!! The 18th Century Garden near Carpenter’s Hall in Old City is like taking a peek into The Secret Garden novel (yes I was obsessed as a young girl). I wouldn’t plan an entire session here, as it is a small garden, BUT it’s right next to Carpenter’s Hall which is my FAVORITE photo session spot in the city. Check out this engagement session I photographed at the garden!!
- Located in Old City Philadelphia
- Free entry
- Too small for a full session (pair it with Carpenter’s Hall!)
6. Morris Arboretum
This is like a local version of Longwood Gardens … but without all the crowds!! Morris Arboretum is located near Chestnut Hill College in North Philadelphia (and the Northwestern Stables at the end of the Wissahickon, for all you runners like myself!). I just photographed a surprise proposal here this summer and it was AWESOME!!!
- ~20 minutes from the city
- $250 photo pass (includes admission for up to 10 people)
- No crowds
- Make sure there is no event happening that day
- Not-so-ideal hours